Sunday, September 21, 2014

My Personal Learning Network (PLN)

Social Networks
Twitter is my favorite for professional specifics.  I am still learning how to best create and post original content to twitter, but I enjoy scrounging up as much information as possible and then re-posting or commenting on posts.  These are some of my favorites:
I met Ben at an edcamp conference in Denver.  He is one of the few people I have met in person.  I agree with most of his philosophies on education and learning.  Ben is much more active than I am, with 1000’s of followers and following 1000’s himself.  His posts are always informative.
Edutopia became mainstream around the same time I became an educator (2008).  The site itself is amazing.  Twitter allows for a picking and choosing of articles, research, tools posted on the amazing network/ site that is Edutopia.  You go George Lucas!!!!
Glen Moses works for Denver Public Schools.  He is an amazing leader in the area of learning technologies.  Another in the flesh acquaintance, he and I share a disruptive philosophy of education and learning.
Tech Facts is unique entity on twitter (not always easy to find).  They typically tweet “facts” about technology, such as, “The first webcam was designed to monitor a coffee maker.”  I like it because it helps me jumpstart my thinking sometimes.
EdSurge is another group/ twitter entity that has a large following.  I use it for up to date technology news and tips.  EdSurge is on the pulse of where technology and education are moving.  A very handy resource.


Content
Google:  Google does a lot for the web.  It has become a verb!  (in the dictionary).  Through my very favorite and best search tool, I have accumulated a plethora of content learning tools as well, including:
The incomparable John Green, world famous author and amazing educator.  Green created an entire series on history that is short enough to keep anyone’s attention while simultaneously introducing complex historiography and non-fiction mindset.
This is the High School History teacher everyone wishes they had.  His approach to History is both new school and traditional at the same time.  A gem.
Thank You Fordham University for creating a mountain of content on many history subjects.  The primary document reading are indispensable.   
Government archives that are approachable to all learners.  Perfect.  Accompanied by documents that help students focus on the doing of history.  
Whenever I need a math tutorial of any kind, this is where I go.  Sal Khan, teacher to the world.  He and his academy started and continue to drive the flipped classroom revolution.


Video
YouTube has also joined Google in the newest verb category.  (Google owned so it makes sense)  From working on my Jeep to conspiracy theories I have my favorite Youtube channel tools and so should you.  These are the channels most associated trends and practices in online/ blended learning.  
Where would any 21st learner be without TED.  Inspiring, innovative, mesmerizing, TED is the gateway to 100’s of deeper content areas, including how learning is changing.
A little too much Arne Duncan for my liking, but its always a good idea to keep an eye on what “The Man” is up to.  A great resource for coming trends and initiatives like the Common Core.
Vice was once a skateboard company, it has now morphed into one of the best journalism networks on the planet.  Watch the HBO show for what is really going on, not the canned drivel presented by the mainstream media outlets.
From classroom management to tech integration, The Teaching Channel has what any educator can benefit from, advice and tips from other educators.  
A channel dedicated to metacognition and understanding the human experience/ condition.  From meditation to chaos theory, the videos from bigthink are a big deal.  


Lesson Planning
Lesson planning in the digital age is as personal as it gets.  These tools help me create amazing, totally digital plans and content for my teaching.  
A great place for digital literacy and writing tools.  Caution to Mac users, much is flash based but there are always workarounds.  Keep read write think bookmarked for when you have to do just that with your class.
This is selfishly a perfect resource for those teaching economics. I include it because economics is a major driver of trends, including those in digital learning.
The latest incarnation in reading practice, the excerpts and questions are all based on the coming standardized tests (PARCC, CMAS, Common Core based).  Great readings with a digital twist.  Humanities teachers dream.
By teachers for teachers.  You can even buy from teachers.  Lots of free resources/ plans.  Its also fun and inspiring to see others in our chosen profession rocking out amazing lessons.
Tons of great lessons, although based mostly on discovery channel content.  The Discovery Channel is a neat company that can create amazing media, so teachers should definitely take advantage.


Blogging/ Research
Tumblr is a great blogging platform/ Social Network for bloggers.  I don’t post to it much, but I do extend my learning network with it.  The images alone are worth a registration, you will be hooked once you start scrolling.  The following are a handful of the folk I follow, specifically related to trends and practices in online/ blended education.
Positively, is just that, positive.  A welcome respite from the gloomy news educators can find themselves in some days.
A graduate student/ professor at the University of Wyoming has a unique perspective on politics and Western life.  A great techy type to follow for humor and learning alike.
A group of people dedicated to workshops, collaborative efforts, all in the morning.  I’m a morning person so I had to follow.  
A traditional English teacher in a not so traditional world.  She keeps everyone on their toes with her work ethic and cat pictures.  A great resource for teaching writing.
Love these guys because they are all about disruption of education and personalized education.  They post a great deal of very informative articles about how education is rapidly changing/ shifting towards an online platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment