Saturday, December 6, 2014

Screen Scream

Using the iPad in a public school classroom as a 1 to 1 learning device is very difficult.  The iPad is different than other devices.  It is extremely portable, has 2 cameras, a microphone and is truly a multi-media device.  This is a huge plus and strength of the device.  It is also one of the reasons that this device is very hard to manage in the classroom.  There is a reason that the Chromebook has overtaken the iPad as the most purchased device by American Schools and its not because the iPad design is bad, its more because it is so good.
The iPad goes everywhere.  The bus, the classroom, the bathroom and everywhere in between.  The iPad becomes attached to its user, much in the way a “smart” web enabled, cell phone does.  And here in is the problem, with classroom management continuing to be a huge part of the learning experience, the iPad makes it harder to manage a classroom.  As the user integrates the iPad into their life, it is mostly centered around entertainment.  The games, videos, and social networking communication capabilities are so instantaneous that it becomes very difficult to use the device as a learning tool because that entertainment is always there.  
American children spend an average of 7 hours with a screen, with the majority of that being entertainment, not educational.  Tablets like the iPad increase the accessibility to time with screens because they are so portable and easy to access.  This is a big problem in the classroom.  If a teacher wants their students to lets say, complete a reading and answer some questions, many times the iPad screen makes it a much longer and less productive learning experience because the student is so attached to the device as entertainment.  The reading turns into checking their game, to watching a quick video, to posting a snapchat and then finally, maybe, getting to the reading.  This is what the iPad is designed for, being a media consumer, not being a productive learner.  The iPad doesn’t even have a keyboard, another clear sign that it is not designed, first to be an education tool.

The iPad is an amazing device, coupled with full access to the Apple App store it is hard to beat the overall capabilities of the machine as an entertaining, multi-media device.  Speaking from personal experience however, as a classroom tool, it can make the teachers job harder, not easier.

6 comments:

  1. Nathan,
    I completely agree! Many websites say, "why do teachers NOT let students use phones etc in the classroom?" and that astounds me. These "experts" use reasoning like if the student is engaged there is not issue. There is ALWAYS an issue. It is so easy to check their texts, their candy crush level, facebook, twitter, and it gets very distracting. The other issue is assessments. I have to collect their phones and place them at the front of my room in a wall caddy so they don't take pictures and send it to the students in my future class periods.

    I'm surprised no one has come up with a way to "block" certain activity on iPads. For example, make the school wireless not accessible to certain apps, websites, etc - but then how to do that while also allowing teachers that access. I know something like that is probably out there, but the time it would take a school to do that effectively would be tough.

    I know exactly where you are coming from and I'm really glad that my school is using chromebooks rather than iPads :)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet used a Chromebook, but in what ways does a Chromebook differ from an iPad that makes it a better choice for classrooms? I get the impression that it doesn't have the same multimedia and entertainment focus (so perhaps it's less distracting). Does it also offer features that the iPad doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have touched on an interesting perspective that is rooted in underlying behaviors, habits, and motivation/reward centers of the brain. We have grown accustomed to the iPad and other smart devices as our entertainment and social hubs, thus becoming an irresistible distraction to learning in a classroom and other academic settings. It certainly is not a do-all or the best tool in education, but is does have some remarkable uses. For certain assignments, such as creating a multimedia project, it can be great.

    I use iPads with elementary and secondary aged kids in an after school program. Their initial intention, when the iPad's come out is, "does that have Subway Surfer on it?" Or some other desire to play a game. Lucky for me, I get to use them more as an enrichment tool using educational games, or even just for fun (sorry, I may be contributing to the habit). We have made some short movies on them.

    I did discover an application for formatting and controlling multiple iPads so they are all configured the same, Apple Configurator (http://youtu.be/_W5OZxJ44mE). You can limit the apps on them, the time they are available, and many other control functions. One function makes it like a kiosk and runs just one app; you cannot even hit the home button and see a home screen. I use this with the kids once and a while, but it makes them very disgruntled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nathan,
    I agree with you and Erin in regards to the difficulties associated with having a multi-media device such as the ipad in the classroom. It is especially difficult with ipads because of the similarity students notice between their personal (entertainment) devices (iphones).

    I would love to see Apple take on a more proactive role in education by offer users the ability to setup iPads with the limits and restrictions that would make teacher's experiences less stressful. I can't imagine that Apple doesn't have the brain power to develop learning software that would be an answer to all your concerns.

    Can you imagine how powerful the iPads could be if you, as the teacher, had more control over what the users could access? I can tell you are a fan of the iPad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a teacher but I definitely see your point. My son has a Chromebook at school. He had asked about iPad since he had one hoping to be allowed to bring it to school. Against my wishes they allowed him to bring it. Surprise! I got an email that he was playing games in the hallway instead of going to the bathroom. I like the idea of the Chromebook much better. I think that the iPad, i Phone i i i i has become a gaming appendage and is now typecast into the role of fun and games. Honestly I had never even heard of a chromebook until my son was put in this school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is some good discussion going on here. Thanks for the post, Nathan. I know that as a teacher, I let my students use their devices in my classroom for most activities. Yes, when things are so easy to check and be distracted by, students will be distracted. However, I also know that I have surveyed students about their habits in my class versus other classes who have a zero tolerance no cell phone policy; students routinely and overwhelmingly share that their phones are less of a distraction in my class because it's not a taboo subject. They know that they are responsible for their learning, and if their device is getting in the way of that learning, it's on them and not me. Now, I do have to ask students to stop playing games, snapchatting, and the like, but it's all built on a level of respect with my students.
    Also in regards to locking down iPads and other devices at the school level, there are ways to use filters and other technologies to block apps like Facebook and Twitter (my district does this). I also know that when you completely lock things down, students will (rightfully or not) will figure ways around it - every time. Look at the iPad rollout debacle in LA unified school district for some examples of that.

    ReplyDelete