Thursday, September 10, 2009

first couple days

My first day was really fun. Meeting the students was the best part. I have such a great group of young adults attending my six classes. They are excited to learn, respectful and absolutely hilarious. When the class was asked what they thought metacognition entailed, one student raised her hand, answering, “probably someone who makes a lot of money.” I couldn’t help but laugh a little. I think that students are challenged at my school , but not enough. I have always believed that, “ to those that much is given much should be expected.” The pressure, anxiety and parental pushes are present but from my short time at the school I haven’t seen high enough expectations. Maybe it is because parents and educators are complacent with the high levels already achieved. Maybe I am being a little naive or idealistic, but I would like to think that it is probably a little bit of both. In any case, I hope to instill high expectations in my students, as well as, the athletes I’m helping coach on the cross country team.

No comments:

Post a Comment